Climbing to Shipka Pass monument

If I hadn't someone well-known from Shipka, I pobably wouldn't find the trail which leads to Shipka Memorial. There is no specific sign with such words - "Go Here → and you will get to path which leads up to Memorial". This path starts behind Shipka Memorial Church. Right between cafe and the Church there is statue of a woman. On the stairs, which are behind her, I saw first sign (red arrow).


Starting from then I just followed my inner instincts and other following red arrows, white&green lines on trees and many plastic ribbons tied around branches.
    
The same as in eco-trail, in the beginning of this trail there are many fallen pine trees and build roads crossing the path.
 Photo took as going back from monument  
One time I had to go a few meters along the highway and two times I had to cross it. These stages of trail were littered with rubbish and toilet paper.
But after getting across the second high way the trail became pleasant (bearing in mind that I still had to go up the mountain). It became more enjoyable in a way that it was free of garbage and other obstacles.
  
After I went through the path full of little pine trees I entered very dry area. In the sides there were bushes of wild roses. In Bulgarian called Shipka. By the way, the place Shipka got it's name because of them growing everywhere on the mountains. But that's a different story which owes a new post.
After few minutes, I reached the driest and hottest place in which I had to take off my jacket and reach for my bottle of water. It was also the loudest place. It's just impossible to ignore the crackling sound of grasshoppers.
 
On the way I spot many animals. All way through the trail I heard and saw various birds. And first time in nature I saw a shrew. Unfortunately it was dead.
But the lizard, with which I even had an eye contact for couple of seconds, was alive for sure!
It didn't took long time from savanna like place until I finally saw my goal.

When I reached place with machine guns I saw great view with wind turbines and Buzludzha building which I visited few days ago.
 
As it was afternoon there wasn't many people near the monument so I managed to take some nice photos of this monument.
     
To get inside of it I had to buy a ticket. Advice - If you look young enough and ask for a student ticket it will cost you just 1 leva. ;)
In every floor of this building you can see different exhibits - starting from buttons of soldiers uniforms until the weapons. Also there are many nice paintings in which are captured the Battle of Shipka Pass, that took place in these mountains more than hundred years ago.

                           
The view from the top of the monument is amazing. The only problem was flying ants. There were a lot of ants of which some workers were trying to get rid off.

The view from the rocky place is not less breath taking, but I posted the ruined picture with my comments on purpose.

As well from Buzludzha building, also from here it is possible to see the reservoir in which is the drown city.
The climbing up with some pauses (for picture taking) took me about just 2 hours.Of course getting down took less time, but it wasn't any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment