Karlovo

Karlovo was the first place in Bulgaria that made me feel like at home. Before I had been living for almost 3 weeks in Shipka, had visited Kazanlak, but I still didn't felt like I fited in. Karlovo is definitely smaller town than Kazanlak, but somehow it seems more developed and modern with very nice restaurants, cafes and antique houses. And in the background of every view of Karlovo there are mountains.
 
Locals here are very proud of Vasil Levski. Actually he is like a hero for every bulgarian, but especially in Karlovo there are many places named after him because this is his birthplace. Briefly - he vas a revolutionary, who led a movement to liberate Bulgaria from ottomans.He got his nickname Levski during the service in Bulgarian legion. He was able to jump over very wide ditch just like a lion (levski). Ironically he died because of unsuccessful Levskii jump, after which he got killed by ottomans.

 
Some sculptures remained from soviet times.
Every year in Karlovo there is a Rose festival. At that time in the main square is held a beauty contest, after which the“Queen of Roses” is chosen. Can only imagine the wonderful scent when the rose water is coming out from the fountain.
  
The brothers Evlogi Georgiev and Hristo Georgiev also are important personalities of Bulgaria. These guys not only invested a lot to develop their hometown Karlovo, but also financially supported creating the first university in Bulgaria- The University of Sofia. Even more, one of the brothers (Evlogi Georgiev) also made donations in Romania, where he used to live for ten years.
I really enjoyed the old part of the town. There is also one old house, which is partly a cafe, partly a library, partly a museum. So in relax way tourists can get to know the history of Karlovo.
One interesting thing I tried there is coffee prepared on the sand and served in bulgarian pottery. This building could be Revival house, but I am not quite sure.
 
There is also an ancient mosque, which is not active as there are no muslims in Karlovo.
    
Even the hydroelectric station is named after Levski. Behind it I found Suchurum Waterfall.
 
Enjoyed climbing up the mountain and just wandering around there. As the paths are often used by climbers it is impossible to get lost. After a short time I reached a place with benches, tables and a little playground for kids.

  
Through the climb I spot at least two squirrels, which are fed there with edible chestnuts by local animal lovers. Also birds! Everywhere I go, whether climb to Shipka Pass,  Megalith or just go through some eco-trail, I always detect some beautiful (for me ) unknown bird.

Mного благодаря to Antonia, the local of Karlovo, who introduced me to Karlovo (also to Hisarya) and welcomed me into her house. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment